There are a few simple steps you can take to stay healthy with type 2 diabetes.
While type 2 diabetes is a serious disease, there are several steps you can take to stay healthy and avoid complications of the condition. Here are a few things you can do:
• Monitor your blood sugar. Test your blood glucose level and record the outcome. Review the results with your doctor to determine how well you’re managing your condition. Also have your A1C tested at least two times each year for a look at the bigger picture.
• Take medication as prescribed. Insulin and other medications should be taken according to directions to ensure effectiveness.
• Eat a diabetic-friendly diet. One of the most effective means of maintaining healthy glucose levels is to consume a healthy diet. In addition to eating healthy at home, pay attention to ingredients and portion size when dining out. Remember that all foods can have a place in a balanced diet if enjoyed in moderation.
• Exercise regularly. Regular exercise, if approved by your doctor, can help maintain desirable glucose levels as well as aid in weight loss. Remember, extra pounds can pose an increased health risk, especially to those who suffer from diabetes. Strive for at least two and a half hours of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise each week and muscle-strengthening exercises two or more days each week.
• Schedule regular check-ups. Visit your doctor regularly in order to most effectively treat your diabetes and prevent possible complications.
Medical Center of McKinney wants you to be as healthy as possible. To learn more about living with type 2 diabetes, visit us online. To find a doctor, use our online Find a Physician service or call 1-855-296-6265 Monday through Friday.