Take your salad from lackluster to amazing with these yummy additions.
A tasteless pile of leaves.
Do those descriptions sound familiar? Never again does your salad have to be a prison sentence instead of a delicious meal. Salads are a great way to get one or two of the 5 servings of fruits and vegetables you should be eating each day.
Convert your lifeless and boring leaves with these tasty additions:
- Add a healthy crunch – Toss in walnuts, almonds or pecans instead of calorie-heavy croutons.
- Go greener – A delicious salad contains more than iceberg lettuce. Iceberg is mostly water content and lacks the nutritional value that other leaves offer. Try adding spinach, romaine, or arugula.
- Bean there, done that – Add some substance to your salad with legumes. Another source of fiber, black beans and other bean family members also add protein to your salad.
- Balance with sweetness – Tomatoes add color and sweetness to your bed of leaves. You could also add dehydrated fruits like cranberries for a pop of sweet flavor.
- Slice up some avocado – Although avocados contain fat, it's good monounsaturated fat your body needs in moderation.
- Make your own vinaigrette – Cut calories and fat with a home made salad dressing. The best part is your can add spices that satisfy your taste buds.
Having difficulty planning healthy meals and getting adequate nutrition? A dietician can help. For a referral call 1-855-296-6265 Monday through Friday, Our friendly operators are available to assist you finding a professional near you.